Monday, November 27, 2006

I just had a very weird and frightening experience. So I'm strolling down Magazine Street to take advantage of the beautiful day when I come across a guy who appears to be holding something. At first glance I think, 'he's got a gun!' but then I remember that I always think the worst first and so maybe its not. He's kind of pacing around looking at the cars as they pass, looking at the building across the street, still holding the unidentified object. I think to myself, 'maybe it's a light meter and he wants to photograph the building.' He looks as if he's waiting for a ride, who knows. So I continue walking, though very hesitantly, when a woman turns the corner. As she walks past him I notice her eyes, wide open as hell. She's obviously seen the object and my first thought was correct. This guy's walking around holding up a gun! I continue to walk, trying to nonchalantly pass him without attracting any attention. I glance at it through my sunglasses- yep a freaking glock! As I pass, all I could think was 'god I hope he doesn't shoot!'. So I turn the corner just yards away from the guy and just start shaking like crazy. I keep looking back as I walk to make sure he doesn't turn the corner behind me and I pull out my cell phone and dial 911 to report the guy. Thing is, the guy seemed really normal and not like a thug whom you'd assume would be showing off his weaponry. He was dressed neatly in a polo shirt and jeans and he had a computer case around his shoulder. And he didn't look crazy... except for the gun that is. He wasn't talking to himself, didn't appear angry or even in a bad mood... he just had a freaking gun out! So that's another exciting day in New Orleans. Guess I won't be doing the walking thing too much anymore. Crazy bastard.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

If you let a freak keep you from doing the things you enjoy, youll be a shut-in before you know it.

Just get your own gun. One bigger than his.

3:15 PM  
Blogger butterchurn said...

I'll still get out the house, just not walk as much. And I don't want a gun, those things are creepy.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he look like he was about to shoot someone or was just crazily waving the gun around. Can't wait to visit. Just get you a bulletproof vest to wear on your walks. I hear they came out with more fashionable ones for New Orleans Fall '06 line of what to wear when taking a walk in da hood.

7:44 PM  
Blogger butterchurn said...

Mostly he was just holding it up in a relaxed way- as if his arm was in a sling and he just happened to have a gun in his hand. When I thought it was a light meter, it looked like he was pointing it at the building across the street- the one next to the small Rue De La Course on Magazine- just kind of pointing it at the wall. And he was walking in the street with it- just holding it up to the traffic as if to say 'look what I got'. It was crazy. I couldn't tell whether he was wanting to shoot someone with it- I assumed so though, since he had it out. Sorry if I scare you with this, its not like I see that kind of thing all the time.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, I'm more scared for you.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home